Friday, July 30, 2004

An explanation of the Conspiracy

All my life I've been petrified of clowns. Horribly afraid of them. I love horror/mystery books, but one page into IT, and that was well - pardon the pun - "it" for me. Goodbye Stephen King and your creepy ass clown. (That was more than a decade ago, and I still will not walk in front of drainage ditches on the street.)

One lazy summer afternoon while basking in the sun on a secluded beach my husband and I started talking about great names for a rock band. We started bantering back and forth about this - and we still do from time to time. One of the best he came up with was Underwater Clown Conspiracy. I decided to use it for my blog name because - well:

a) We live in Sunny South Florida, and well, I'm also afraid of being underwater now. Two snorkeling trips, two sharks, and two panic attacks later I don't like going in the water.
b) As previously established, I hate clowns. They're just creepy.
c) I'm a *gasp* lawyer, and yes - a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

And well, it just sort of summed up how I felt about what's going on in our lives right now. You see - a conspiracy is as so eloquently penned by Justice Jackson, "[an] elastic, sprawling and pervasive offense, ... so vague that it almost defies definition. Despite certain elemenatry and essential elements, it also, chameleon-like, takes on a special coloration from each of the many independent offenses on which it may be overlaid. It is always 'predominantly mental in composition' because it consists primarily of a meeting of minds and an intent." Krulewitch v. United States, 336 U.S. 440 (1949) (Jackson, J. concurring).

How horribly ironic of a case name, for fate has indeed been a 'cruel witch' to us. You see, we've been married almost two years and have been trying almost half of that time to become pregnant. We had the meeting of the minds, we had the intent. The problem is - we have never managed to complete the underlying "offense".

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Hi,

I think you & I used to be on the same message board(PP), where I used to post (before I got too depressed seeing all the "BFP!!!! FIRST MONTH!" posts).

I just wanted to say hi and let you know how sorry I am that the BFP boat seems to have bypassed us in favor of the infertility blogging island. I'll be reading, and hoping for the best for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home