Saturday, March 25, 2006

Pretty soon I'll be wearing pink and bows in my hair...

Upon first meeting me, most people assume that I'm a very high maintenance type of girl. This always puzzles me, as I'm much more the "let's grab a cooler of beer and some bait and just spend the day casting lines into the water" than I am the type to spend hours getting dolled up. I hated living in Miami's "seen and be seen" lifestyle. I don't care whose names you can drop - it doesn't impress me. I'm not a label whore, and would never be caught dead wearing one of the god awful (in my humble opinion) purses or bags or shoes emblazoned all over with a company's logo. I'm just as apt to shop a high end department store as I am in a thrift store (I'm quite partial to 1940s style clothes and shoes - as they actually fit women with real breasts and hips). I don't wear perfume. My jewelry usually consists of a pair of plain diamond or pearl stud earrings - and nothing more.

There are probably a lot of things about me that surprise people when we first meet. I'm terminally shy, for example. Being a redhead exacerbates this as I'm prone to full body blushes and am incredibly easily embarrassed. Once I feel comfortable with someone (which isn't typically a quick process) - I open up very slowly and let my reserved guard down. To be honest, while I've got a great circle of acquaintances, there are very few people that I truly call my friends. If you're one of them, you know it - and you understand why. It takes an enormous amount of courage for me to allow myself to be vulnerable, and it's not a risk I take with many.

I'm a pretty low key person, and I'm much more comfortable in a little local dive bar where everyone knows what you drink, who you're with and what's going on in your life without you even opening your mouth than I am in a club. I hate to go clothes shopping. I'm not a big fan of crowds. I wear my hair longish now because it's actually faster to get ready that when it was cropped short.

That's what makes days like today so bizarre. I spent the entire day with my best friend getting dolled up. I hot rolled my hair, and it was an enormous cascade of red curls. We went and got manicures and pedicures - with my toes now painted a fiery blazing red. We dallied at the perfume counter. We shopped for hours - and I bought two unbelievably beautiful feminine pairs of heels from Nordstroms. I sported an incredibly intricate beaded necklace and we ended up tinkering with makeup for hours. We went out to a fantastic Mediterranean dinner, and then went for drinks - both in incredibly crowded and loud places, and at my insistence.

And what surprises me, I had a wonderful time. And I can't wait to do it again.

7 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Sometimes you have to be a girly-girl. You just have to.

I'm so going to want to see a picture of that hair.

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds extremely beautiful. Almost reminds me of a song.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's fun to do something a little different and reach outside the comfort zone. Glad to hear you had such a nice time.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty much the same way you are, but being a girl makes you feel good too.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I echo the calls for pictures of hair and shoes! Both sound divine.

I wish we lived closer...you sound like my type of person. I'm not a big jewelry wearing, high-maintenance type girl either. I'm glad you had fun being a girly-girl...it's good to do that once in a while.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Nico said...

I'm just like you in so many ways. It takes me a really really long time to consider somebody a true friend, and to open up to them. The only time I wear make-up is when we're really dressing up, like for a wedding or holiday part or something. I own two necklaces, with two matching pairs of earrings, and that's it.

I completely agree, though, that every once in a while it IS fun to really be a girl, and it sounds as if you had a great time doing it.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, pictures. Please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home