Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Worse than the 2 WW

We're in the three day wait now. Not for AF (which should be here any time - today is Day 27) but for Frances. Aunt Frances, Aunt Flo - sounds sort of the same to me. Stupid bitch that I just wish would leave me alone.

I'm starting to panic. I've never been through a hurricane before. We don't have renters insurance. We don't have hurricane shutters. We don't have a lot of liquid income/cash right now. We don't have hurricane shutters. Hell we don't even have plywood. We're petsitting for a friend this weekend, a committment we made pre-storm. We don't have a plan, we don't have anything.

Except that we live a block off the intercoastal, and I'm worried about storm surges, and the giant black olive tree that grows over the top of our house, and the fact that we're in a flood zone, and that everything that I own is sitting in that house. True, I can replace a lot of it... but there are pictures, cards from my husband, family heirlooms - our wedding photos. There's so much to lose... and I am so afraid.

I'm not a big praying kind of person, but I'm praying hard right now. Not just for me, but for the other people that this may impact. Please, if you read this, I ask you to do the same. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Right now they're expecting it to hit Vero Beach. That's 130 miles from my house... but as of right now with the storm as big as it is, we're not sure how accurate the forecasts are. We may not know anything more definite until Friday - which is when it's expected to hit.

I'm afraid. I hate when things are out of my hands. I hate feeling hopeless.



2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Dee said...

I'm here and I'm praying and hoping right along with you. Be well, be safe, and know that you and your husband will get through this together. It's all we've got but it is the most important thing and it will get us through anything.

I hadn't yet read your post/didn't know you were pet sitting this weekend so please excuse my lightly offered "please get to a shelter" comment in my e-mail this morning. I know that's almost impossible with a pet but know that Peggy Adams Animal Shelter on Military Trail in West Palm Beach is taking people and their pets in on a first-come, first-served basis. I know that's farther north than you may want to be given Frances's track right now but know it's a potential option. I'd love to offer to have you come up to me but we'll be at a friend's house with 8 other folks and 5 dogs.

Godspeed, my friend. You are right to be scared; it is human instinct. I am terrified given my current state of mind but we will get through this. We have to, we can, and we will.

Remind me again why I live in south Florida? Oh, wait, I remember now--because I think it rocks the other 6 months of the (non-hurricane season) year.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

Hang in there with the storm! I am in Tampa. Mom is in Port St. Lucie and going to ride out the storm. I will be praying for you. That power, if it gets turned off, comes back on quickly, that your roof stays on, your windows sealed, and the water out.

Blessings,
Stacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home