Thursday, September 08, 2005

Learning

When my mother was pregnant with me, she crocheted a big blue, green and yellow afghan. She didn't know if I was a boy or a girl, so she wanted it to be something that was fairly gender neutral.

When I was two, my father remarried. His wife crocheted me a pink, blue and white afghan.

Both of them are horribly stretched out, their corners tugged and there are areas that are starting to unravel.

When we were first trying for a baby, I tried to learn to crochet. I wanted to be able to make baby blankets, to have something tangible to look forward to this baby that I was so sure would be coming soon.

Then months turned into years, and I was no closer to learning how to crochet or to being a parent.

I've decided I would like to learn to knit, but haven't the faintest clue about how to go about learning. Does anyone have any tips?

7 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our local Michael's store was offering a class. I think anyway. I saw a sign for it in the store. Not sure if it's everywhere or not though.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could try a local yarn store or even the YMCA. Good luck!

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael's and JoAnn's have classes, and so do yarn shops. However not all towns have a yarn shop. Another venue is a senior citizen center; a lot of those ladies congregate to knit and crochet for items to sell for the center. I only offer this because I was a quilt guild meeting remarking on how I wish I could knit, and one of the ladies gave me an open invitation to come to her senior center because I would have my pick of teachers. ;o) In general I really enjoy hanging out with older ladies; they've seen it all when it comes to bumps in the road and can be very reassuring to talk to when you are frazzled.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Mari said...

April - Firstly thanks for droping by my blog!

I learnt to knit by purchasing a Patons baby pattern book and in the middle is a learn to knit section. As I have so many of these now i would be happy to send you one via snail mail. Drop me an email with you address and I will send it to you.

The instructions are so simple and I've now knitted booties, scarfs, mittens, a baby jacket and I'm moving onto a baby blanket.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the late post, but you should check out the Stich n Bitch books. They are really great with some unusual beginner projects and very grrrl power oriented.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi April, I'm a knitter! I second what others have said about finding a beginners class at a local yarn shop. Another possibility is any adult education program in your community. The one near me is called "Evening at Emory" and has everything from cooking to ballroom dancing. That is where I learned.

If you are disciplined, learning from a book like Stitch n Bitch or Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick is doable. Also, you can teach yourself using Internet resources. Just google Knitting Lessons.

But I'd go with the class so you can have somebody teach you in person. That'll cut out a lot of frustration, and you don't need any more of that.

Patti
knitting blog:
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
fertility blog:
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com/maternal_instinct

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Philadelphia Snow Removal said...

Thanks greeat post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home