Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Morphine induced haze

Dad's surgery lasted a little longer than they thought because of some complications that they found once they actually opened him up that wasn't evident on the myriad of MRIs he's had. Apparently one of his discs was completely shattered, and they had to remove it and install a metal cage that connects the vertebrae above and below it. There's probably some technical term for it, but hell if I know.

He was in a considerable amount of pain after they finished, and they ended up giving him six shots of something in his IV, and then put him on a morphine pump. The nurse said she was amazed that he wasn't "knocked out" because she gave him enough pain killers to put out a horse.

My sister called to talk to me about the surgery, and he heard her talking to me and wanted to say hello. Of course, considering the amount of morphine he was on - it was pretty hilarious to try to decipher exactly what he was mumbling - but we chatted for a few minutes before he was too tired to talk anymore.

So all in all, thanks for the kind thoughts. He'll be in the hospital for a week or so ... and while I realize that there are far worse things that could happen, it was still scary to us - having never gone through anything like this before.

It's all relative I suppose.

Nonetheless, thanks.

16 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

Glad all went well w/ your dad's surgery. Thinking of you!

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How scary to have a parent in the hospital. Your father is lucky to have you on his side. Hope he recovers quickly.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jess said...

So he'll be home before Christmas! That's incredible!

I'll bet you can't wait to hug him...

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that your dad is on the mend. I'm sure that was pretty scary -- I hate the idea of anyone going anywhere near my spinal cord!

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that your dad made it and is going to be ok.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Bittermama said...

I'm so glad to hear that your dad came through surgery ok. My dad had two disc fusions (I think maybe that's the metal cage thing you're talking about - they used a piece of metal to make bone grow in between the two discs (or something like that)). Anyway, it was horrible watching him go through it, but he's gotten excellent pain relief from it so far!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I agree, it's terrifying to have a parent go through such major surgery. I'm glad he came through it okay and how lovely that he'll be home in time for Christmas! Granted, it will take him some time to recover, but I'm glad he pulled through well.

It sounds like they performed a discecomy (removal of the shattered intervertebral disc material) and placed a metal prosthesis, likely filled with bone graft, to promote fusion at those two vertebral levels. Summed up as a posterior lumbar discectomy and fusion. (I'm guessing this was in his lower back, the lumbar region of the spine).

I'm just really glad he's okay, but I take some comfort in Lindy's comments, that it worked well for her dad. I hope it works for your dad, too. Best wishes to you and your family.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad he did ok.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad he did well. It is scary to have a parent be sick, I hope his recovery is quick.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I'm so glad that all went well. Hopeful thoughts for a swift and pain-free recovery coming your way.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Nico said...

So glad the surgery went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Mmmmmm.....morphine......

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I'm glad the surgery went well. Hope he has a quick recovery.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How terrifying. I am so glad that he seems to be doing well, now. You have really had quite a string of dreadfulness, haven't you? Hang in there, my dear.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the dodgy part is over and done with, and that it was a success. He still has far to go, but what a blessing that he obviously has the strength to follow through.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it went well.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger D said...

Happy to hear that he did well, what a relief! Hope he recovers quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home