Monday, November 28, 2005

Everybody Knows That a Burrow Owl Lives in a Hole in the Ground

Sweet heaven am I glad to be sleeping back in my own bed, and in my own house.

Wow, I don't remember Dallas/Ft. Worth being so dirty... there was garbage all over the sides of the highway and it was just down right filthy. A lot of the old neighborhoods are starting to become less desirous locales, and it made me sad to see a lot of businesses we frequented when I was young were gone and replaced by chain establishments. Entire fields of mesquite trees and cattle pens were now Best Buys and other big box stores.

I got to spend a great deal of time bonding with my sisters, and got to see a few members of the family I haven't seen in years. We had an overabundance of pie, ham & turkey - and my middle sister (who just turned 17) had an overabundance of tequila - but that's a whole different story.

We spent time out at my aunt's farm, and with my cousin Breanne, who just turned 4. She greatly enjoyed spending time with "her Michael" and he was teaching her how to fish with "loooowwwlllooooooores" (as she pronounced lures). When he caught around a five pound bass she ran up and told everyone in the house that "Michael caught a fish for me, just for me - not for you."

My sister taught Breanne to dance to the Black Eyed Peas song "My humps" and it made me thankful that we're going to live too far away for them to corrupt our child.

We visited with my mom - and I found out that she had a fallopian tube removed when she was only 16, and they told her that she would probably never had children. She laughed and said that she was glad they were wrong, and then got religious on me. That things will work out when it's right, to trust in God, yada yada yada. For the most part, I was stunned - as my mother is not a religious person. She asked if we had considered adoption, but not in the "just adopt" type assvice most people give.

I found out my stepmother tried for five years to get pregnant with my oldest sister, and then the middle girl came easily and the baby was quite a surprise as she was still nursing the middle child.

Of course, everyone else had all sorts of advice to give us ranging from accupuncture and full-body detoxification and green tea to "have you used an ovulation predictor kit?" and "you know you should have sex 14 days after your period starts" and all sorts of other helpful information. The most popular advice of all was that it would happen "when it's time" and that "God will make it happen when it's supposed to."

For the most part, things went relatively smoothly, but I have to say that I'm thankful for the Flying Saucer in downtown Ft. Worth, as we escaped there for drinks when I reached the point that I just couldn't hear anymore about Aunt so and so's new surgery. And I had forgotten how much I treasured Maredsous 10 (and 8 too for that matter - although only the 8 was on tap).

Visiting with the extended family helped to give us a good conversational starting point as to how we would discipline our children, what we would do if our underage kid got shitfaced, etc. etc. And considering we had a ten hour drive back, well, we had plenty to talk about.

12 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger DD said...

You've got to be shittin' me? You can get pregnant from having sex??? with your partner???? I thought it all took place via specimen cups and catheters...

I bet you're missing the Texan weather right 'bout now, aren't you?

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

"it made me thankful that we're going to live too far away for them to corrupt our child."

bahahahaha

They'll still give you presents like pink shorts with PRINCESS written across the behind.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. There are ways to predict ovulation? Families are genius, aren't they?

Heh heh -- princess shorts.

So -- this weekend? Any thoughts?

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing, the things you find out about your family--I found out this weekend that when my Nearly MIL wanted to start having kids, she just told my Nearly FIL the pill was making her sick (not true) and she wasn't going to take it anymore. How bizarre.
I bet you anything if you have a girl you WILL get the aforementioned "princess" shorts--or a infant-sized thong.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post -- it's an affirmation that even though we are all different, we all have insane families... and then the vengeance one the day after -- WOW!! You gave me chills.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

April, it sounds like an entertaining trip. But now I'm worried. The vengeance post was really scary. I hope you and your family are ok.

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So those ovulation tests - where do you find such things?? ;)
I hope you and your family are all okay, like the others, the vengeance post has me worried.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it made me thankful that we're going to live too far away for them to corrupt our child."

Yes, hilarious.

Vengeance post - yes, hope everything is okay. Look at all these hormonal chicks that'd have your back though!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Sheesh!
Never a dull day around here!

April, are you okay?

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger MC said...

It's amazing that no matter where we all are in the world we get the same arsevice.
I hope you are ok.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

Hope you are doing ok.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the lovely innocence of the fertile mind.

Are you okay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home