Monday, February 20, 2006

Avoiding black cats, ladders and mirrors

I did our income taxes this morning, all the while mulling over how I'd like to spend what I thought would be a modest refund - and was shocked to find that instead we will be forced to fork over a princely sum (in multiples of THOUSANDS of dollars) to the federal government this year. *Sigh* so much for running off to Belgium this spring for vacation. The irony of the lack of the pitter patter of little deductions is not lost on me.

Times like this make it so hard to be a good democrat. I have no idea how the hell this happened, especially considering that I apparently OVERPAID Social Security by close to $900 this year.

I haven't had the courage to do our state or local tax returns yet.

The stress apparently made my nose start gushing blood - which I didn't notice or feel until my pretty green turtleneck was thoroughly drenched. I felt the wetness, and looked down to see that my left breast in all its bloody carnage and realized I had no idea where the blood was coming from. Freaking out, I jumped up to grab the box of kleenex off the back of desk, and promptly upset my glass of tea into my lap - onto my suede skirt - and manage somehow to simultaneously snag my stockings on the underside of the desk - rendering an enormous runner.

My mother in law called to say that she hasn't started packing yet, and hasn't called a mover - even though we're supposed to be moving in less than a week. Less than seven days. Six even.

I hang up with her to rifle through the phone book to find a mover, and Michael calls to tell me that the cat has decided that he doesn't approve of the moving and has voiced his objections by crapping all over the boxes sitting in our living room floor. Yes. This is the same cat who gave us this lovely experience the last time we moved.

Oh, and CD1 - in case you're wondering.

Good times... good times.

I hope your day is shaping up better than mine.

12 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Jess said...

So you're bleeding at both ends, you've ruint your outfit, you owe money to the IRS AND the cat pooped on your parade?? Sheesh!

Think he's republican?

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Oh April, I am so sorry! What a shitty day (sorry, had to use it).

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Twisted Ovaries said...

Sweetie, this is the kind of day where you can maybe do the following, which I always do:

1) Stop on the way home and buy a bottle of champagne.

2) Get home and put champagne in fridge.

3) Bemoan horrible day to significant other.

4) Open champagne and have favorite food for dinner (mine is mac and cheese, which I recognize is not a champagne kind of meal, but who the hell am I? Martha Stewart?

It works a treat. Trust me.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Robber Barren said...

Wow - don't you have all the luck!

I hope tomorrow is better (shouldn't take much).

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger DD said...

I'm going to use the Office Space standby:

"Sounds like someone's haveing a case of the Mondays." =>

Cats have a 6th sense for moving or even traveling. We can't leave packed bags out or else the one will pee on them. Furry bastard.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh honey, I say this was a craptastic day.

Last year we owed thousands too, but did end up getting a very small amount back from the state. This year we owed again (but only a few hundred) and got about the same back from the state. I hope that happens for you too.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. What a crap day indeed. I hope you were able to go home and hide under the covers for at least a small portion of the day.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger x said...

somebody needs to get you some ice cream and a warm blanket. Maybe a back rub too. The nose bleed incident sounds awful.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Oh my goodness what a day, April! At least you've gotten all the awfulness done in one shot...no bad things for the next week! I do so order the universe!

Hugs.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Wow. That is one shitty ass day. I am so sorry, and I really hope the evening and tomorrow are much better. Wine, champange, mac and cheese, what ever works! Sending out hugs and foofy happy thoughts to you. Hang in there! xoxoxo

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger deanna said...

Cats and moving are just recipes for frustration. Our cat always hides somewhere in the new house for days---once we found him squeezed into a little hole in the wall, BEHIND the bathtub. (getting him out really sucked!)

Really sorry about CD1...... *hugs*

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Larisa said...

I'm so sorry about your really shitty day.

Extra sorry about CD1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home