Thursday, February 16, 2006

Further Proof That She Ain't From Around Here

The weather here is pissing me off.

Growing up in Dallas, we used to always joke that if you didn't like the weather, to hang on for a minute or two 'cause it would change; unless, of course, it was during the summer where the only change would be from "scorching" to "branding yourself with the seatbelt buckle" to possibly "seventh circle of hell hot."

So after I leave Texas I move to South Florida, where it is pretty much without fail 75 degrees - year round. New Years Day, on the beach, perhaps a chilly 72. Oh sure, we had hurricanes, and it rained EVERY SINGLE DAY my first summer there, but it was warm!

Here. Hah! Here, there is no way of knowing. Every day I wonder if I should pack a parka or a bikini.

The other day it was 65. Today - Severe Weather with "Ice Pellets" per the local paper - the hell? What are "Ice Pellets? Hail? I know what sleet is, and I know what snow is, and I know what hail is - but Ice Pellets are a new one for me.

Ahh, per the Weather Channel link in the comments, I now know what ice pellets are. Thanks!

Now, not to pat myself on the back too much, I scraped my windshield off before I left the house this morning as opposed to just sitting in the car and letting the defroster slowly well, defrost the ice. So I left the house with a clear windshield, but the sleet was coming down so fast that the defroster wasn't able to melt it. As I was driving to work I was boxed into pretty heavy traffic and the windshield suddenly turned into a giant sheet of ice. I couldn't see anything.

So, I did the first logical* thing I could think of. I leaned over and got the can of quick melting ice spray stuff out of the floorboard and OPENED THE DOOR and sprayed it with my left hand on the windshield while I was holding onto the steering wheel with the right and driving - quite fast I must sheepishly admit.

I can only imagine how much the locals laughed at my predicament. Why I didn't open the window I'm not sure, but at the time it seemed like a good idea.

6 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger DD said...

No one probably even noticed. It's not uncommon for us 'ere midwesterns to haff ta open our doors 'cause we aint got no fancee winder opener. Weze supprised ya didna have some of that there bailin twine on yur door!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the third fucking time I've type this comment, as bloggers keeps eating it. (BLOGGER HUNGRY! NEED MORE COMMENTS! CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!) I wrote a really long one using the Minnesotan in me to detail the difference between sleet, freezing rain, ice pellets, etc., but, of course, it disappeared. Suffice it to say that you can visit http://www.weather.com/glossary/ and all of your queries will be answered.

Oh, and DD dere -- we use da wire coat hengers to open da winders. Dey make good antennys for da tellyvishun too, ya kno.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. That's classic. It's the same way here, except we don't get ice or snow. Today it was freezing.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Too funny! I can just see you in my mind's eye, driving all crazy while you spray stuff on the windshield.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger x said...

I have to tell you that as a Canadian, I always laugh seeing somebody trying to manage winter driving for the first time.
One hand on the wheel while spraying defroster on the outside of your windshield - you don't sound like a beginner to me.
It's funny trying to figure out the difference between flurries, squals and snow - of course there is sleet, wet snow, freezing rain, ice pelets and extreme fog but who's counting?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Shinny said...

Here in Weescansun you usually need to hang out the door because the dang winder is froze shut! I do try to stop the car and pull to the side first though. ;)
Glad you didn't fall out or get injured. We can't have that happening now.
We had the snow/rain/sleet/hail combo yesterday so the roads were nice and icey today. Plus we even had thunder and lightening, did you get that? We are really special up nort' hey! Yes, I grew up close to Canada, Northern Minnesota and the UP of Michigan.
Hope you had a better driving experience today and that blogger doesn't eat this comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home