Sunday, February 05, 2006

No Time For Love Dr. Jones...

Another low key weekend, but go-go-go-go the entire time. I'm not sure how that's possible really, but it is.

Friday I left work early with a tremendous backache - to the point that I was close to vomiting from pain. I have no idea what the hell I did to my back, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was caused by something I'd rather not relate to the doctor. After taking um, seven or eight 500 mg. extra strength tylenols on Saturday I was still close to tears. Considering we were in the car for the majority of Saturday (going back and forth 2+ hours to a college basketball game) it was not a good time to have a backache. There's still an uncomfortable soreness that feels very similar to when I was overstimulated so I'm seriously hoping that this is not some ovarian cyst gone awry.

We spent hours yesterday discussing what we're going to do with the house to make it "our" space and planning out the basement renovations. Amazingly for a man who had little more than a black metal futon when we married, he actually has excellent taste. Unfortunately that means he's putting quite a bit of input into the decisions which I had not anticipated. The sage green that I had wanted to do the downstairs bathroom in, he now wants to do the kitchen in. Hmpf.

We went to FOUR lighting stores on Saturday, not counting the big home improvement box stores - and still are without a light fixture for the entryway.

The kitchen is a somewhat L-shaped eat-in kitchen. The custom made cabinets are all cream color (not something I would have picked necessarily), the countertops are similarly cream and the floor is large cream ceramic tiles. The appliances are also all cream. The wallpaper in there now is fairly non-offensive, and maybe four months old, but Michael has put the kibosh on the wallpaper, so we're debating paint colors now. The only thing that we've agreed on is no yellow, and no blue. When we moved into our home in Florida - the kitchen was painted somewhere between pumpkin and Tennessee orange. It sounds horrible, but we really grew to love it. We've decided to do something else though in this house.

The kitchen will have an oak farm-style table and chairs (which I personally dislike, but it was his before we were married and he is oddly attached to the table). I have an assorted collection of fiestaware that we'll use in this room, so I want something color wise that won't be garrish with those serving pieces. Any suggestions? He doesn't want "in your face" color - and I don't want boring boring neutrals.

I guess it would help if I'd upload pics of the house, huh?

Was it just me or were the Superbowl ads oddly boring this year? Aside from the "magic fridge" Bud ad, I don't think I even laughed. And how much older can Mick Jagger get? He could have at least endeared himself to me by calling it gridiron, but alas...

I tossed and turned until 2 last night, at which point I decided that I was either going to have to smother Michael with the pillow or go sleep in the guest room. I opted, rather reluctantly at the time for the cold guest bed. Unfortunately both cats thought that meant we were having a party in there - and I was trampled on by the monsters all night long.

I finally fell asleep at 5. The alarm went off at 5:15.

Bags under your eyes are the new black. At least that's what I'm trying to convince everyone of today...

10 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh . . . do I sense another sex-related injury in the blogosphere? Really, dear, we must be more careful. I have my 5TH CHIROPRACTOR APPOINTMENT for my neck today.

I'd put sage green everywhere, but I'm a crazy person. The color of your blog is the world's perfect color, if you ask me.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby also has quite the flair for interior design. In our first apartment we fought about colors. He won, and was right. So ever since then (4 houses later), I've always let him make the decorating decisions.

Hope your back is feeling better.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Donna said...

We've been painting rooms in our house ever since we moved in, everything was white before. We opted for bold and bright colors throughout, except for the sage green in the living room, since it was already such a dark space. I was a little afraid of color before, but now I love my purple dressing room and deep blue bedroom. Good luck, and we need pictures!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Robber Barren said...

He doesn't want "in your face" color - and I don't want boring boring neutrals.

Well, then - what you want is an in-your-face neutral, or else a boring color. An example of the former would be a dark, chocolately brown. As for the latter...I think with the cream cabinets, counters, and floor you can either go very light-and-airy with a pale peach (hints of the orange in your old kitchen!), or else you can do a strong contrast with a dark almost-but-not-quite neutral, like a deep burgundy or olive. Kitchens tend not to have large sweeps of uninterrupted wall space, so I think that's the room where you can be most daring. Save the softer, safer colors for somewhere like the living room, the front hallway, or the most-used bathroom...a place where the color fills most of your field of vision.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger x said...

If you want to see boring superbowl commercials, try watching it on a Canadian station. Between the game and the commercials, senior-citizen Mick was the highlight of the night.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the kitchen, something in the sea glass/ aqua/ turquoise/ robins egg spectrum. It's a warmed color and will set off the Fiestaware nicely. It looks awesome with cream, too. You don't have to go with a bright one; you can pick one that is lighter so it works more as a neutral.

My second choice would be somewhere between paper bag brown and chocolatey brown, especially if you have silver accents on the hardware or to hang. Brown and silver looks very of the moment right now.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I am in love with you for your choice of movie quotes as the title of this post. I will now go through the rest of my day reciting lines from that film, thank you very much.

Here at Chez Nous, we also have of the snoring problem. I hate it. Can I suggest stuffing earplugs in your ears, it's my favorite remedy.

Vanessa
http://twistedovaries.mu.nu

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger April said...

And while I realize that the original quote is from an Indiana Jones movie, the quote I am referencing is actually from Clerks.

"I'm not even supposed to BE HERE today!"

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Hope the back is better. My husband watched the SB game on Sunday and had to quit watching b/c he was getting so annoyed with the ref'ing.

Bought this place in 1998. Painted it then. Thinking it might need new paint now, what do ya think??? :-)

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, you need some ibuprofen, a heating pad, and a chiropractor or masseuse! Do you know how to do the pelvic rock? (No, that is not some new sex position!) Lay flat on your back, pull your knees to your chest with your arms, and then rock back and forth along your spine. It's an exercise for people with low back pain and I have found it very relaxing when my back hurts. Hope you feel better soon.

I have no interior design assvice but I did love the suggestions of the other commenters. I love sage green with deep violet. Not sure those are kitchen colors, but I love that combo and it finds itself in all my homes over the years. I also love red, especially burgundy (but, hmmm, also not a kitchen color, I think).

Can't wait to see pics! (You are posting pics after your remodel, aren't you?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home