Thursday, December 29, 2005

I'd like to exchange this Swiss Cheese please.

This morning the RE himself did the wandmonkeying (and I had on little green socks with monkey faces on them for the occasion). He's a chatty man, and was blabbing on about his wife's fascination with her iPOD she got for Christmas during the scan, and I was trying not to focus on the fact that there was a foreign object in my vagina held there by a man who wasn't my husband.

Ovaries are miraculously free of large cysts this time - but there were close to 20 small cysts that were there. Definitely PCOS he said. Definitely - your ovaries look like swiss cheese.

I hate swiss cheese. Abhor even.

Oh - and a retroverted uterus. Seems all those hours spent with my butt propped up on pillows laying on my back when we were trying were apparently for naught. Why someone never told me about this before, I don't know... but it goes a long way to explaining the unbearable pain I have in my back with menstruation. Apparently my lovely ute is basically facing directly into my spine.

Given the overwhelming response last time - we're doing a bit of tinkering with the protocol to see if we can get fewer but better quality eggs.

I'll start dexamethasone tomorrow - .25mg a day. Not really sure what it does, other than the fact that it's a steroid and he said I'll stay on it through 20 weeks of pregnancy - every day. I'm also going in for a fasting insulin (thanks for the catch Jenn!) tomorrow to see if metformin is appropriate to add to the slew of other pills I'm taking. Hey, what's one more right?

Endometrium lining today at CD 3 was at 4.7. I'm waiting on the E2 levels.

He's slowed down the follistim quite a bit - 100 ius a day, whereas last month we were at 150 ius a day. He said he's still tinkering with what to do with the progesterone, given that I had a level of 33.9 and started bleeding the same day (7 days post IUI). Right now, he went ahead and prescribed prometrium again - only he changed it to 200 mg. in the morning, and 400 mg. at night. Hopefully that will help.

As he was leaving he patted my knee and said that 2006 will be better than '05.

I'm not sure I believe it, but I want to. I really want to.

**For those of you looking for information on PCOS - check out SoulCysters (and a special thank you to Tendaironi for the link) it is by far one of the most helpful and informative sources that I've found on the subject.

23 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger DD said...

I want to believe it will be better for you, too. In fact I DO believe it will be better! There, I said it.

I can't believe no one has caught the retroverted ute?! What are these people doing when they're wand-wielding? I bet your socks must be distracting to the others.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the old retroverted uterus trick. Does pooping during your period knock you for a loop too?
I think 2006 will be a banner year!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I really hope 2006 is much better for you. I mean, really... is that asking to much? I'm wishing you all the best. Everything is crossed. ; ) Have a Happy New Year!

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the tinkering brings you good things. I thought that a fasting insulin level was what they wanted for Metformin instead of the GTT? I've had both, but I thought I remember my regular endocrinologist saying they are moving away from the GTT.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Mere said...

I too think that 2006 will be better for you. Look how much info you have gotten with this visit!

Poly Cystic ovaries and a retroverted ute can be dealt with! (Case and point... me)

Hoping all this tinkering leads to some tinker toys.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Clover said...

I'm so hoping that 2006 is the year for you!!! Glad you are able to get started again.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard great things about Metformin, if it comes to that. Wishing you lots of luck this cycle and yeah, I want to believe 2006 will be a better year too!

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, this is the first time you're finding out about the retroverted uterus ... ? Good catch by the doc. And good luck on the cycle. I would like to see a picture of these socks.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I wanna see the socks too! They sound awesome.

I'm glad you're doing a bit of protocol tinkering - fewer better eggs sounds great! (And hopefully it / they will be exactly as great as they need to).

Also voting for a rocking 2006.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hoping the tinkered with protocol has the desired effects and ends with success.
Here's to 2006 - a better year for you and all of us!!

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's great that the doctor has given you a dx, and one that definitely can be worked upon... I have PCOS and retro ute also. I was never told that my ovaries look like swiss cheese, but I did get the very subtle and discreet exclamation, "WOW your ovaries are CRAZY cystic." Nice.

2006 WILL be a better year. Blue is right.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who got pregnant with the assistance of metformin, let me tell you, it is f'ing FABULOUS. It doesn't work for everyone, but it leveled off my blood sugar problems, I ovulated normally without assistance from other drugs though I had a looooong cycle, and eventually we figured out when I'd ovulate and were able to time things appropriately.

My fingers and toes are crossed permanently for you, and so are Freebird's.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger moo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger moo said...

April,

Here's hoping for a better 2006 for you! And , if I may, add a hope for abetter one for all of us who had "fertility-challenged" 2005s.

One more day..................

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger chris said...

Here's hoping your doctor is right.

Take care.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

How can someone with green monkey socks NOT have a banner year? It just wouldn't seem fair...and you know that in the world of infertility, it's all about fairness, right??? I so want 2006 and the tinkering to result in a banner year for you. I'm putting it on my wish list.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm glad that your doctor seems to be paying attention. Let's hope all those changes make a difference. 2006 here we all come!

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a great doctor. I so hope he's right about 2006 being better than 2005. Good luck!!

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger MC said...

Good luck with the new cycle and protocol. My cycles are always pushed out longer after a stim cycle.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Calliope said...

here's to hoping that 2006 is the year of "oh yeah!" instead of "oh shit".
xo

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Nico said...

Hope the injections are going well!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Dee said...

I got put on dex (a small dose like yours) because my androgen levels (DHEA-S) were through the roof. It and metformin helped get me ovulating again and were the only meds I was on when we conceived (on our own--how the hell that happened I'm still not exactly sure) between stim cycles. Hope it has the same magic effect on you--it's got to be helpful somehow if he put you on it.

Wishing you a wonderful 2006 and a great upcoming cycle.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

April, just watch out for the loonies on Soulcysters too! Not everybody is nice there.

Here's to tinkering in the New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home