Tuesday, January 03, 2006

If I was kidding you I'd be wearing a fez and no pants.

Well, the tinkering is not going so well.

(and edited because the medicinally "improved" April is not so good at math)

My day 3 levels were E2 at 53 and the FSH was at 5.8.

I've now taken 100iu of Follistim for five days, and my E2 levels this morning (day 8 if you're counting) were a whopping 94. That's right - a measly 94. Endo is at a 9 already, and the left ovary had two follicles - one 8 and 12. The right has two at 8.

The fasting glucose and insulin (they did both) came out "just fine" - so no metformin for now - just the .25 mg of dexamethasone.

The doctor wants me to increase the dosage to 150 iu a night tonight and I'm due to come in for a scan again on Thursday. I'm a little upset because they told me to bring the HCG in at that time - as I may end up triggering (depending obviously on what my body does between now and then) Thursday morning, and then have the IUI on Friday afternoon. As in three days from now.

The problem is, as much as I love the people at the clinic and my doctor, he doesn't do insems on the weekends. That's fine - except my body isn't on a 5 day workweek. I don't think that I'm going to be ready by then... and they're afraid if I continue to stim through the weekend that I'll end up like I did before - overstimmed and sitting out another cycle or two.

The doctor said that there appears that my body has a certain core level that it has to reach and then it skyrockets out of control.

Assuming a 2 mm growth pattern by Friday I'll be at (hypothetically speaking of course) one 18 mm and three at 14. By monday it would be one at 24 , and three at 20 - and who knows what else may end up hopping up between now and then.

Oh - and I have a nasty upper respiratory tract infection. The doctor gave me an emergency breathing treatment this afternoon and then I'm on 1500 mg. a day of amoxicillin to try to knock it out. They wanted to put me on Cipro - but said it wasn't safe for me to take if we were trying to conceive.

I was so sick I didn't even go into work today - and I'm not sure I'm going in tomorrow. Not being able to breathe is horrible.

I'm hoping they let me wait until Monday - because having just one will make this entire process basically irrelevant.

16 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe a clinic wouldn't do an IUI on a weekend. Do they really think everyone can fit into their little schedule? I hope you can breathe soon.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Clover said...

I hope you can breathe soon. I'm sorry- that sucks to be sick in the middle of all the IF crap.

WTF that they aren't open over the weekend? What if you were doing IVF? Transfers don't wait for Monday morning.

Hope you stim enough to do IUI on Friday.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How on earth can they not do IUI's on weekends?? That just doesn't make sense. If our bodies worked that nicely we'd all be pregnant by now! Jeez! I hope you're in good shape for Friday.
I hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger DD said...

I almost freaked our transfer would be Xmas, the ONLY day of the year our clinic is closed. But closed every weekend IS ridiculous. Sorry your feeling like they've put your eggs on the back burner.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Oh! Feel better soon!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Jess said...

That, or sneeze on the doctors a few times....

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe they don't do IUI's on the weekend either. Hopefully your body doesn't skyrocket out of control. Hope you get better soon.

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

April, I am an IUI doofus so I'm not sure I'm following all of that. But it sux that they don't have at least a 6th day if not all 7. I hope things fall in place for you in these next few days, including the breathing. That sounds awful.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

I hope you can sort this out with your doctor, it is clearly ridiculous not to do IUIs at the weekend. Although to be honest the follicles sound like they might be ok on Friday - 18mm is good, and 24-26 is probably too big so there is a balance here.

You are like a poster child for the 'bodies respond differently every cycle' mantra!

Hoping that E2 level starts to climb nicely now.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Calliope said...

That is nuts about their weekend policy! Out of my 7 IUI's 5 have been on weekends (& 2 on Sundays).

Feel bettter. Breatheright strips are da bomb!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Larisa said...

No IUIs on the weekends?? Of course your body isn't on a 5 day a week schedule. I don't know what to hope for - that the follicles slow down so you have great ones on Monday or what. Hmmm.

I do hope you feel better very very soon. Being sick absolutely sucks.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The no IUI on the weekend thing is weird. I don't remember ever having done an IUI that wasn't on a totally inconvenient day. In fact, I think all six of them were either on holidays or weekends.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also shocked (shocked!!) that your clinic doesn't do IUIs on wknds. That's just unheard of. I'm so hoping that you're ready by Friday and that your upper resp. funk goes away on the double. Hang in there!!

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What they all said!! I share the consensus of indignation regarding the five day a week thing... that's ridiculous.

Here's hoping another couple follicles pop up...

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I hope that increasing the dosage works out so that you can do the IUI Friday afternoon!

It's so frustrating that this isn't a science, but an art.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Linda said...

You know, one day when I accept the fact that no children will ever come from the Sahara that is my uterus, I am going to go to medical school. And I'm going to become an RE. And I'm going to open my own clinic so that we can all have our damned procedures on the day we need it, already! I hate it that because a cycle might inconvenience a doctor, we are shunted to the side. Yes, that round of golf is ESPECIALLY important, I know. G-d forbid you miss it.

Sorry, my bitterness meter has maxed out lately. Hope you feel better soon...hot tea, steam, all that jazz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home