Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It was one hundred degrees, as we sat beneath a willow tree

Whose tears didn't care, they just hung in the air, and refused to fall, to fall.

I drive the same way to work everyday, but I usually take any number of backroads home at night. On the way into work there's a large heavily wooded plot that is currently being stripped and built up - some new development is likely going in I guess. Maybe a strip mall. Apartments, who knows.

In the midst of the lot, a huge 40 foot willow tree stood guard. Beautiful, sinewy limbs curled out from the trunk, sweeping across the ground, caressing the air. Over the last two weeks, I've watched as workmen in heavy machinery cut down and disposed of all the trees except that one. It stood proudly amongst the ruins, the fresh spring green leaves sprouting on its enormous canopy. It was an odd juxtaposition next to the shattered remains of its brethren... a breath of hope in a sea of destruction.

This morning, as I passed, I noticed it too was gone.

I think I'll drive home another way tonight.

9 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Oh no! I was so hoping you were going to say the willow tree made it through...how sad.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger DD said...

I can only think that those workmen found it beautiful, too, and left it stand for as long as they could.

The bottom line is never beautiful regardless of the number of zeros.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Your image of the willow tree made a lump come to my throat. My grandparents had a huge old willow on thier property that I used to play beneath as a child. We'd strip the leaves off for play money and use the fallen branches to weave baskets. It was strangled to death by a vine when I was a teenager but I still feel it's lack when I go to visit my grandfather.

I wish your willow tree had made it.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Nico said...

Oh, that is so depressing! It really makes me sad that developers seem to think that a sea of grass is what everyone wants to look at. I know on "This Old House" they sometimes move the really nice trees to keep them - if only more people saw the value in doing that.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last year one of my favorite neigborhood trees met the same fate. It was originaly in someone's back yard, that they chose to sell as it's own lot. It was the BIGGEST most beautiful Magnolia tree, one that I was sure to point out to every out-of-towner. I was devestated the day I saw that it was gone. The worst part, they didn't take out the whole stump yet, and the poor 3 foot stump now has leaved sprouted all over it. I will never forget it's majesty, and the way it filled me with awe every time I drove by.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that just sucks!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Sorry to hear about the tree. I always think about that when I see a company laying waste to a huge parcel of land. I always wonder, "Why can't they just leave some of those really nice trees there?" They never do, and it always makes me sad.

I have a favorite tree that I've known since I was a child. It is still alive and thriving, and means more to me than most people. I took a picture of it a while back. Here's the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/planetpixel/17169450/in/set-1332917/

I love that tree.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But now, just think of all the wonderful capitalism our consumeristic society can spread now that our battle with that trivial tree can go into the books as a victory!

Assholes.

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home