Monday, September 13, 2004

Tipping the scales

One of the things I've struggled with most in my life has been my weight. I've never been the type of person who has seriously considered myself fat. Sure, I fully recognize that I tip the scales a lot higher than what society says "beautiful" is. I don't however have the need to be incredibly thin. It's not attractive to me, and I think women should be curvy. And I am, curvy that is. There's a 12 inch difference in my breasts and my waist and waist and hips. I'm an hourglass - but unfortunately they do not make clothes for these proportions.

But today at work, I was referred to as "the big girl" and it stung. It stung in a way that I haven't felt since High School geometry class when a spoiled rich kid called me a fat bitch. I felt incredibly ashamed, and felt every seam in my clothes as they strained over me...

But what bothered me even more, is that I live in the plastic surgery capital of the world. And no, I haven't had any work done. I'm 100% real. Sure, my breasts may not be as perky as I'd like, and I've got weight on my thighs that I'd like to take off, but damn it, if I'm going to lose weight, I'm doing it in a healthy manner. I'm doing it with sensible diet and exercise. So this morning when I was bringing in my lunch (fresh fruit and a salad) another associate looked at me and asked, why not just not eat for a few days?

She was serious. Apparently this fasting is her way to keep her size 2 figure. I'm sorry, but I enjoy food. It's pleasurable to eat. And no. I'm not going to starve myself to meet some ideal that society is forcing on me.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your co worker sounds like a complete beyatch.

I get called "the big girl" at work ALL THE TIME. People think that because I'm tall it's okay to say "big," but every time I hear it I want to fade away. I'm sorry you're feeling this way, and I hate that society makes us feel like this. *Smooch*

Karen/Naked ovary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home