Monday, September 26, 2005

Good infertile points

Michael and I have a tongue in cheek system of "good husband points" that he can acquire (or that can be deducted) for random acts of kindness to me (deducted for things that are not quite so nice).

A sweet kiss on the forehead results in [insert number] of good husband points. A random compliment - footrubs, or a diss on someone that I'm jealous of always quickly racks up the points for him. Telling me Jessica Simpson looks like a horse - goooooood husband points. Telling me he likes women to have a little meat on their bones - excellent husband points.

And no, they don't really "work" for anything - they're not exactly a get out of jail free card, but it's sort of like karma. They add up and can generally sway things his way occasionally.

On Saturday, we went to the football game, and "she" was there. Remember her, the hugely pregnant woman who has season tickets next to us who was belittling her friend who was having trouble conceiving because "how hard is it?"

Well, I think I deserve some massive good infertile points.

I actually asked her how far along she was (38 weeks!) I actually asked her if it was her first (it was). I actually asked her if she was having a boy or a girl (a boy).

And I did it while genuinely smiling. I did so while truthfully telling her that I was surprised that she was so far along, because she had gained so little weight. And I sincerely wished her a safe and healthy delivery.

So how many good infertile points ("GIPs") does that get me?

And how many do I lose for smiling (on the inside) when she said she won't be here for the rest of the season?

8 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. You are one strong woman. I still cringe when I think of how hard it would have been to not slap that woman upside the head when you heard her last horrid comment.

GIPs: Infinity.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I love your good husband point system. I think it's so neat!

I think you should get tons of good infertile points for being so pleasant to this woman, who obviously knows nothing of infertility and is completely unsympathetic to her friend's plight.

And nope, I wouldn't deduct any points for feeling happy about her upcoming absense, only actions count.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I agree, you can't deduct points, its an addition system. Thank goodness she won't be there at any more games.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the others that you don't lose any points - now if you had said "thank GOD!" when she told you, I could understand, but no guilt necessary.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive - I think your points just went off the scale. And I agree with the others, there's never any deductions!!
J and I do stuff like that with a vague "points" system. I got a TON of good wife points when I told him that we could in fact afford to buy a Harley Davidson. I'm still resting on my laurels from that and it was over a year ago!!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Nico said...

Points for not bitch-slapping her when she sat down: 10
Points for asking questions like you were actually interested in the answers: 100
Points for smiling while doing that: 10000
Points for not doing a happy dance when finding out she wouldn't be there anymore? : Infinite.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger MC said...

I don't think I could have done that. I spend a lot of my time around fertile friends and family, without having to speak to strangers about their pregnancies.

I like the good husband points system, I might have to introduce J to it.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Yes...fistfuls of GIPs for you April. And like the GHPs too! Maybe you could do a little chart for you both with gold stars and at a certain number you get a treat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home