Friday, January 20, 2006

Progesterone, paint swatches, and twiddling my thumbs

I went in on Wed. to have my progesterone tested. It came back at a measly 20.9. TWENTY POINT NINE. I was on 600 mg. of prometrium a day, 200 in the morning orally, and 400 mg. in the evening vaginally. I'm now bumped up to 800 mg. of prometrium a day. 400 in the morning orally, 400 in the evening vaginally. Is it possible that administering the pills vaginally would decrease the serum levels of progesterone? I've not had near the symptoms I had last time I took it (when it was all administered orally), so I'm wondering if perhaps that could be the cause.
Last night I had highly placed, sharp cramps so painful that when I came home from work early I went to bed, and laid on the bed with a heating pad in tears. They weren't normal period cramps, but sharp - and stabbing and somewhat focused on my left side, with the occasional "fuck you!" from the right. I expected to wake in the middle of the night drenched in blood, but so far I still haven't started spotting. This morning there was a slight beige-ish tinge on the toilet paper, although I'm not sure if that's from the vaginal prometrium or what.

I love my clinic, and I'd have my R.E.'s babies I adore him so much - except for well, um I've not exactly got a great track record in that area. The thing that irritates me though about IVF is that they only do a limited number of IVFs a year. They're right in the middle of an IVF cycle now, so the next one isn't until May. I thought it was March for some reason, but it's not until May. May is so incredibly far away. The doctor said he didn't see the point in us wasting time and $$ with another IUI, but to be honest, I'm only going to be out the $70 for all of my medication and sharps (G-d bless my employers very generous coverage of IF meds) and 20% coinsurance for the IUI itself as I've already met my deductible for the year. All of the scans and bloodwork are covered - apparently without the deductible applying, as I just got my first Explanation of Benefits for the first two scans and bloodwork and the portion I was responsible for was $0. [I know, I know, you're all entitled to hate me now, but trust in your heart I'm beyond thankful].

In a way, I realize that cycling in February and early March would be a pain, what with the remodeling of the new house {the wallpaper is coming down if it kills me, I don't care if it's a few months old, Michael and I detest wallpaper} and moving, and unpacking and all that jazz, it's going to be a madhouse. So, perhaps it's best that I don't try to cycle then. We could always just try on our own without help.... bwahahahahahahahahaha. Now that's funny.

This weekend is going to be hopefully low key. It's snowing today again, which sort of puts a damper on my plans to rip up the tulips, daffodils, crocus {crocusi? crocuses?}, hyacinths, alliums, etc. that I planted. The reason that I'm ripping them all out is that we were actually renting while we were house hunting. We just didn't expect to fall into a house quite so suddenly (we've been here only a few months) so I thought I'd at least get to enjoy the flowers. Some of them were fairly inexpensive, so I may just leave them, but there were quite a few that I had imported from Holland that I want to at least try to move. It may be a bust, but at least I can say that I tried. That sort of seems to be my mantra right now. At least I can say that I tried...

As some of you know, I have a non-infertility related blog that I have become very lax at updating, and I've decided that having two blogs is just too much effort. So I'm combining them here. That means you may be called on to offer decorating advice, as we're going to be doing quite a bit of work in the next month on making the house "our" home. For your first task, I need advice for a paint color for the downstairs half bath. The cabinets and are a slight off-white, and the floor is a light maple hardwood and the pulls on the cabinet are going to be changed to a brushed nickle, or perhaps crystal. It will serve primarily as a guest bathroom, and will have large two, two-foot high silver candlesticks on the vanity. I'm looking for something that is elegant, but not too incredibly formal. I'll try to get over there and get pictures of the entire house this weekend, so we can start planning the changes - and you can laugh with me about the wallpaper, er I mean give me ideas. We're shooting to change a room a month, as we're going to be converting the roughly 1500 sq. foot basement as a long term project into a pub/entertainment room and additional family room.

This weekend looks as if it's going to be fairly low key. I'll be spending quite a bit of time cuddled up with Westlaw researching the minutia of COBRA, trying to start to pack (we have a MONTH before we need to be moved in!) and a college basketball game on Saturday evening. It's not exactly brimming with excitement, but you know - sometimes low key is best.

15 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Sage green for the bathroom?

I share your loathing of wallpaper. The house I rent now has - get this - burnt orange sculpted wall-to-wall carpeting as well as faux wood panelling. There isn't one room in the entire house that doesn't set my teeth on edge and make me want to claw my eyes out. It is utterly horrifying.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the sage green for the bathroom, or maybe a purple-type color. I hate wallpaper with a passion.

As for progesterone, I have heard that when you do progesterone vaginally you can have lower serum levels. I have no idea if it's true or not. I think the theory is that because it's absorbed more locally not as much actually gets in your bloodstream. My clinic was ecstatic if I got over twenty.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger DD said...

I'm torn: do I comment on the progesterone/cramping or the wallpaper/paint???

Ack! So many decisions. I'll have to think about it and get back to you.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I like the sage green suggestion.

Sorry that I can't offer any input on the progesterone as I do the shots.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard that administering progesterone vaginally may not cause as much of an increase in serum progesterone levels as when it is administered orally. However, this is because more of the progesterone is absorbed by the uterus, which is where it is actually needed--it is actually supposed to be a good thing.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrm... I'm struggling with my own decorating dilemmas so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but how about pale gray? V. elegant and goes with everything.

Thos cramps sound horrible!! Hope you get some relief this wknd.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger deanna said...

Wow, I really hope you are feeling better soon! That cramps description made me woozy, you poor thing.

CONGRATS on your loan approval, though! That's spectacular!!

I'm agreeing with the sage green, as well. The paint will have to match quite a few elements in that small space (floor color, brushed nickel, candlesticks), and I think a nice creamy, sagey green would be just the match. There's one that we used for trimwork in my Living Room. I know we found it at Lowe's but I don't remember the color spec. I'll look it up and send it to you for inspiration. =)

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our downstairs bathroom is painted Meadow, which is a sage-y green color by Eddie Bauer (available at Lowes).

Cramping- ugh that sucks. I've never had that before. It must have been kind of scary.

Progesterone- this is why RE's are infuriating. My old RE says anything over 15 is fine, my old RE wanted to see it way over 20. The beige color is probably from the Prometrium- I think I remember that when I had to do progesterone vaginally.

Maybe with the next IUI (if you do one before IVF), you can ask about using PIO?

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger x said...

Waiting to do an IVF cycle sucks - I have been waiting for my first one for 2mnths and have another 2 to go. Maybe May will be a blessing though - your house will look great and you'll be all ready for a new addition to the household.
Paint is good - wallpaper is bad. That's about all I know about decorating.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sage green, totally. Wallpapaer is the worst decorating idea, ever. Maybe it was useful back when people lived in dampy old victorians?

I did vaginal progesterone and understand it is absorbed locally, so you blood levels might not reflect the amount your body is actually getting.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

How about slate blue? I also like the sage green suggestion.

I don't mean to be Miss Susie Sunshine when I know how hard it can be to hope in these situations, but your description of cramps is what made me post - it sounds like what the implantation cramps felt like when I was pregnant. I hope you'll find out soon that that's what those were.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sunny Jenny said...

How about painting strips? How about a cornflower blue with light blue slim strips and blue toile accents?

MMMMMM vaginal suppositories...I am so looking forward to them...

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Bittermama said...

I like very pale gray-blue for the bathrooom.

And I'll echo everyone else on oral progesterone not showing up in serum levels.

And I'll add that we decided to do a last ditch IUI while waiting for our clinic to get around to its next IVF cycle (they do 4-5 per year) and I'm glad we did even though we paid out of pocket and it didn't work. I needed to feel like I was doing everything I could.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry the IUI didn't work out. I'm hoping for the best for you.

I decided to post on this entry because I wanted to say that Restoration Hardware has a great color for your bathroom called Silver Sage. They also have other good colors, but not so many as to be overwhelming.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Shinny said...

April,
I am so sorry that this cycle didn't work. However, you now have a project to keep your mind off of that subject. I know, it doesn't make it easier but it will make the time til May fly by.
Please let me help you with your redecorating? I love doing that and if there was even a chance at being able to make a living of it where I currently live, that is what I would be doing. Granted I have no formal training but that doesn't stop me from being adventurous with my own home. Any time you need to bounce ideas around let me know. I am so jealous that you have a house. Have fun and before you know it the house will be done, May will be here and baby will be on the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home