Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hired help

As most of you know that have been reading for some time, I grew up poor. As in "I take it there will be no side items with our waffles tonight" poor. Which makes me nearly ashamed to say that I have a maid. He, yes he came today when I was at work for the first time in the new house... and I think - I think I am in love.

Oh sure, I had to leave a check on the table for more money than I've made in a week before, but when I got home everything was clean. Spotless. And I didn't have to do it. He even put away the clean dishes in the dishwasher. Where, I'm not really sure yet - but they're not there anymore. The grout in the tub was cleaned. The toilets scrubbed, the couches de-cat-furred. Fresh towels were in the bathroom, the furniture was waxed, the floors scrubbed.

I felt so silly all day for spending the money to have him clean, but I am so thankful to walk in to a clean house. Now, if he could only cook too ... then I'd surely keep him on the payroll.

A girl could get used to this. My best friend has started razzing me about this to no end, and has now deemed me a "JoCoHo w/maid" or "JCHWM." Hmpf.

8 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger DD said...

At one time we had someone come in once a week to clean, but during our "budget cuts" she was cut to every other week. We are by no means elitist: I just am lazy. And you are right, there is nothing like coming home to a clean house...unless it's coming home to a clean house and good-looking male "maid".

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one at one time. She wasn't all that great, but it was nice to not have to clean the house.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Donna said...

When I was working FT we had a housecleaner, it was heaven! If you can afford it, I say, don't feel guilty AT ALL.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sheer joy of having a clean house is priceless. We have someone come in once a fortnight to de-dog the house big dogs big slobbers etc, I love coming home the day she's been it's like a fresh start I only wish I could have her weekly.. one day... glad you are enjoying the simple pleasure of a cleaner :o)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger x said...

I too grew up poor and now have some domestic assistance every other week. I just think of it as "moving on up".

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

IT's worth it. It's totally worth the guilt, I promise you.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

Our ladies come every three weeks. We have talked about bumping them up to every other week. There is nothing better than coming to a clean house, especially if you didn't actually have to clean it. It's wonderful.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Dee said...

Sweet guilty pleasures! This is thrilling to hear because our 'maid' starts this Thursday. Sure, she's only coming every two weeks but, woo-hoo, that's less cleaning for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home