Friday, October 29, 2004

Slam, Bam, Thank You Ma'am...

Well the R.E. appointment yesterday was the quickest app't that I've ever had. The good patient that I am, I brought in all of my test results from Dr. Relax, and the new doctor, who I will name Dr. Quickie (to be explained momentarily) ruffled through them briefly, but didn't keep them.

Let's just say from the get go that I am not impressed thus far with him. For an initial consultation with a doctor, I would have expected it to last longer than fifteen minutes. I didn't think that he would somehow find a miraculous reason for our infertility in this short period of time, but I sort of hoped I would hear something other than essentialy call me back in 4-6 weeks. WTF? That's two more cycles wasted.

I felt so rushed, I didn't even have the opportunity to ask him any of my questions about the recurrent spotting, etc., which Dr. Relax had previously brushed off and told me that if I ever managed to get pregnant that she would put me on progesterone. (which, according to the studies I have read, if only administered after a pregnancy has been confirmed, is too late).

He said my TSH levels were too high for someone my age, even though they are technically within the "normal" range for women in general (I think they were 3.3 or 3.5), so he ordered another blood draw for that and progesterone, and M. to undergo another S/A. Of course, they want us to use the lab there for the S/A, and the person who performs the S/As is out of the office - on yes, you guessed it - maternity leave - until after Thanksgiving. So, we have to wait for her to get back before he can do the test. Then, depending on the results, we're either doing Clomid/IUI or IVF. I asked about injectibles, but he said that even though I had been on Clomid for 3 months, that due to the fact that I'm young, he's afraid I will overstimulate on injectibles. I wasn't aware that youth had much to do with it. But then again, I went to law school, not med school so I suppose that I should defer to his training and wisdom.

He groaned when he found out that we are both attorneys, and said I was a "HIGH RISK patient", and marked my chart as such. I didn't find it exactly funny.

The good thing is this clinic is very close to my office... but I just feel as if I was just another patient on a conveyor belt. People say attorneys are sharks, but I have to say, Doctors must be a close second.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home