Monday, November 14, 2005

Progesterone addled brain

I had no idea that progesterone would make me so incredibly stupid and slow-thinking. I have said things in the last 48 hours that are so ridiculously stupid that I am left wondering why my own husband didn't just save me from myself and send me straight to bed. To stay. All day. With no interaction with anyone at all.

Even the cats are convinced that my brain has turned to mush. I went to put their food this morning in the freezer instead of the pantry. Ashton just looked at me and mewed quizzacly, something I am sure is catspeak for "what is wrong with you - you crazy bitch?!?!?."

Taking notes this morning in a meeting? Worthless. On a document this morning, I spelled my OWN name wrong people. My own damn name.

Yesterday, I thought I forgot my morning prometrium pill, and counted out the pills SIX times because I couldn't figure out how many were there, and how many should have been. People, I used to be a math major. Basic arithmatic should not be so complicated. Michael finally found me muttering over a pile of pills at the dining room table and counted them for me.

I'm still quite swollen from the OHSS, and incredibly thankful that it was just a rather mild case of it. Still hurts to bend or twist my torso at all, and it's quite painful to urinate (you really wanted to know that didn't you). I'm drinking like crazy trying to alleviate the swelling. Of course, considering how chock full of salt Gatorade is, I don't exactly see how that's supposed to help swelling, but I guess that's why I'm an attorney and not a doctor.

Speaking of progesterone - does anyone know what a "good" range is to see on a medicated cycle for a progesterone result 7-8 DPO? I'm taking 400 mg. (200 mg. pill 2x orally) daily of Prometrium. Does that change the result? Long ago, in a land far away, when I was on clomid they wanted to see a level of 10+ on a natural cycle, 15+ on a clomid cycle.

Ohh, and another question... how long does it take the HCG shot to be "out" of your system? I.e. when can I resurrect the peeing on a stick ritual I neglected some two years ago? I took 15,000 IU of HCG if I remember right - last Tuesday night.

And as for the butterflies and flowers and bluebirds bullshit that you've had to endure the last few days... I'm sorry. Forgive me. I'm already convinced that this cycle was a waste of emotion, energy and $$. I promise I am turning back into my snarky cynical realist self. Once I get through this medicated haze and remember how, anyway.

13 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the butterflies and bluebells are just fine with me. I like snark but I also like to know what people are really thinking, and it's been lovely to see you being optimistic -it's helped with my own current pessimism about this cycle.

The 220 mile trip for fried chicken, though, is just plain wierd.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's the only thing I hate about prometrium is that it makes you so LOOPY (I took the same amount you did). You feel like your head is a balloon that weighs about 87lbs. It's nice for someone like myself who can't nap, unfortunately, I took it at the wrong time of the day to be napping (i.e. 9am at work). You feel like you're in a haze though, and that's totally normal. Eventually, it won't be as bad and it'll only hit you now and then.

As for the HCG, it'll probably take about 10-14 days to clear out of your system depending on how fast your body metabolizes it. I would say don't test any sooner than 14 days if you're planning on stick peeing before your beta.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

I find most of the TTC stuff does my brain in. Becoming so closely focused in on my uterus seems to squash everything else out of my mind. And then you factor in the Lucrin/Puregon crying jags and the screaming and stamping of feet. I am so thrilled to hear that progesterone makes you stupid - I already have enough problems with basic adding up skills!

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your addled brain stories had me giggling. I could see myself trying to sort out pills - but then again, I was never a math major.
I hope the chicken was worth it. But yikes, I get annoyed if a restaurant is more than 15 minutes away!

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and they say progesterone is supposed to HELP menopausal brain, a situation similar to yours, but I guess they were wrong.

HCG should be cleared within 10 days, at least for most people. I know that I clear earlier because I've tested on day 9 and have gotten negative HPT's.

The reason you drink Gatorade even though you are swelling is because of this: you swell because you are losing fluid from your vascular space as it escapes into your extra-vascular spaces, in this case, your abdomen. This creates an actual vascular dehydration, even though you have all this visible fluid swelling in your body tissues. So, the Gatorade is to replenish the sodium and fluids in your vascular system. Hope that helps. Keep drinking it.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Lisa P. said...

Damn, I do things like put food back in odd places when I'm *NOT* on progesterone supplementation, I can only imagine what I'll be like then. (snicker)

You can be snarky or cheery, we'll keep reading. Dare I ask what cd you're on?

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger zhl said...

A couple of months ago, I was completely loopy for no apparent drug-influenced reason. Of course, my husband had to say, "I wonder if that means you're pregnant?"

Hope the loopiness continues.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That musta been some good fried chicken!

You have to start peeing on a stick right away, so that you know when the shot left your system. Ah, the power of rationalization.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin is my kind of girl... I always advise against peeing on the stick, but I'm horrible at following my own advice.

I hope the chicken was lovely.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Larisa said...

Oh, I'm sorry the prometrium is addling your brain. I haven't had the pleasure of that experience, so I can't help there.

As far as stick-peeing, my assvice is to wait until at least 14 days post shot before peeing on one. However, I particularly like Erin's suggestion.

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a few incredibly stupid things today (including getting lost in an airport I've flown in and out of 9284 million times and almsot missing my plane as a result) and thought, that the last time I remember being this moronic was when I was on progesterone. That stuff is a major brain drain. Good luck!!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I totally understand the brain fog with all the meds. I am in transition...going to new Dr. for IVF treatments in January...and i am so glad to be back to normal. What i was most surprised about was how quickly my poor ravaged little body bounced right back. I did two cycles back to back of Bravelle and HCG and even OHSSed on the last cycle....and the bod is back to normal already. So, there is hope! :)

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took an HCG shot June 28th. I tested (4th of July) it was my 7th day and got a positive result both times. I have NEVER had a positve pregnancy result even testing to soon. My day 8 would be of course tomorrow Friday, day 9 Sat., day 10 Sun. I talked to a nurse at fertilitylifelines and she told me that I tested to soon the earliest would be Sat the lastest Sun. Do you think I will have the same results?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home