Monday, January 09, 2006

Will you still need me, will you still feed me ...

Yesterday was Liz's (Michael's mother) 64th birthday and we went over to her house to pick her up for dinner. When we got there she was positively giddy and told me to come into the bathroom with her for a second that she wanted to tell me something. I walked into the downstairs bathroom, and she shut the door, told me to turn away from her and close my eyes.

Oh god. I thought - she's going to show me that she's had some more "work" done. As I braced myself for the thought of seeing my MIL unclothed I felt her fiddling with my scarf, and started laughing - asking her what the hell she was doing.

She told me to open my eyes and turn around. Around my neck was a beautiful omega necklace with bezel set diamonds - the one piece of her jewelry that I actually liked. [She's quite the jewelry maven, and could easily put DeBeers out of business if she started parsing out what's in her jewelry cabinet - but her tastes and mine tend to diverge greatly when it comes to jewelry].

She started crying and said - "I want you to have this... I want you to know how happy I am that you're my daughter now." Tears welled up in my eyes. She smiled and said "Honey... this is babkes. You just wait.... I've got some big news for you."

She and David have just completed (within the last two months) refinishing their entire house from top to bottom. Brand new custom made cabinetry, landscaping, new hardwood floors, new ceramic tile, etc. The entire house is practically brand spanking new from windows to heating and cooling system to the fireplace being refinished.

Michael and I have been scrimping and saving for a downpayment for a house, and have been putting aside a lot of trips and other frivolous things because we wanted to put everything into a downpayment.

We don't have to anymore.

His mom is buying another house with a bedroom on the first floor (in this house the bedrooms are all upstairs) because her knees are bad and she's struggling getting up the stairs.

They want to sell us their house - no downpayment... just make the mortgage payments (and the mortgage is fixed at around 4% on a fifteen year note) and the homeowners association maintenance fees. The ungodly amount that they sunk into the house in improvements in the last year - they don't care about recouping. Essentially they would be transferring all of their equity in the house to us with no strings attached.

This is a much bigger house than we would qualify for right now mortgage wise. It's a 3-2 1/2 with a 2+ car garage, a formal dining room, enormous kitchen, and a full partially finished basement. The great room is two stories - and there is a small balcony from the master bedroom that overlooks the great room. The master bedroom has a dressing room attached, and there are walk in closets in every single room.

It's in a phenomenal school district and on a cul de sac. We love the floor plan, and it's something that honestly, we couldn't afford right now in that neighborhood. The room that now serves as David's office would be the perfect size for a nursery. The master bedroom is bigger than our entire upstairs right now.

I cried, because I simply didn't know what to say. It's obviously contingent upon her finding another house - but she's found one in the neighborhood that they're going to look at this afternoon, which is a little bigger and has a master bedroom on the first floor. And it's empty - and the sellers are hoping to make a deal quickly.

Last night after I triggered I felt such a sense of peace and excitement. (Well after I bent the first needle in my leg and had to remove it in a bloody mess that I think was my "residency" for Google School of Medicine)

And last night, I had a dream of a baby boy ambling up the stairs in that house to his room. His laughter reverberated off the walls and filled my heart with such joy. Our baby in our house.

27 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Wow! Just...wow! That's incredibly generous and wow, what an amazing thing! Can you clone your MIL? Because I could use a gift like that.

I hope your dream comes true.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger beagle said...

Amazing . . . the only thing I can imagine to beat that day is for this lucky streak to continue and for your dream to come true.

Great post!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is astounding--what an unspeakably generous gift. I am SO happy for you, and hope you have even more good news to add in about two weeks...

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Oh, April, I'm crying now.

We all knew your husband was 'good people' - guess that apple didn't fall far from the tree.

What an incredibly wonderful thing to do.

Things are going your way!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

What a fabulous gift, April! And jewellery too! What a day. I would be crying with joy too.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Donna said...

OMG April, how wonderful! I hope your dream comes true, and this year.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phenomenal, just phenomenal. I'm very happy for you. It sounds like such a lovely break that you two deserve so much!

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such wonderful news! What thoughtfulness and generosity from your ILs.

I hope that this is just the beginning in a stream of good news to come for you and your husband.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger D said...

What an amazing gift! I am so happy for you! Things are looking up. I so hope that this is the cycle for you! Sorry about the bent needle incident - OWE!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Larisa said...

Wow! An amazing, generous gift! Now we just need your dream to come true. Absolutely amazing!

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! WOW! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for the remainder of the year.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing gift! I really do hope that this is just the start of some really fantastic news.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything beautiful comes with a bit of blood... and how beautiful indeed. You're blessed, and I hope the blessings multiply and multiply.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Wow...that is great! I think this is the beginning of wonderful things for you.

 
At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is soo wonderful and exciting! Wow!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I hope you brought her a really good gift b/c she was really dishing them out! Such generousity!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Nico said...

Wow! What an amazing, incredible gift. I hope that this is the start of the life you're looking for... a new house, and a kid on the way!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Linda said...

April, how beautiful! Your in-laws seem like lovely people; the fact that the house is a gift of the heart makes it so special. I'm so thrilled for you guys.

And your dream? It gave me goosebumps. The good kind. I'm praying hard that it will come true.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Bittermama said...

Oh that is just amazing! I'm just so happy to hear you so happy and excited. What a wonderful thing to happen on trigger day. Hoping the best for you, April!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger DD said...

I sense some feelings of bittersweet within your post. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The house is a super generous gift, but I know that right now nothing would bring you more joy than a baby to add to your home, which is made by love not 2x4s.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD, April! That is such amazing, amazing news! We're mid house-hunt (OK, more like condo-hunt) right now, so I know how frustrating it is to get money together and then see how far it will (or won't) go. What an incredible gift.

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! A house and diamonds. I <3 your MIL. Yay for happy news!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Mere said...

No wonder your husband is so fabulous coming from such good stock! How exciting!!!!!!! I so hope your dream comes true.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Clover said...

Wow- that's amazingly generous. But MIL in the same neighborhood? I'd have to think seriously about that one. LOL.

I hope later in the month you get news that's even more exciting than this development.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet and generous act, what a lovely woman. And I hope it portends a great outcome for the cycle. You deserve it. Both of them.

 
At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's incredibly generous and wow, what an!

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger chris said...

Wow. That is just amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home