Monday, April 10, 2006

How observant are you?

I'm not big on forwards - but this little quiz intrigued me. It's based on U.S. info, and the average person only supposedly gets 7 correct. The questions are all based on average, ordinary things you see often, but demonstrates how little most of us really notice about life. I got more than seven, but missed a lot more than I expected.

How many can you get right? These simple questions are more difficult than you think (or at least they were to me). No cheating, no looking around, or using anything on or in your desk or computer. The answers are in the first comment.

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?

2. How many states are there in the USA? (This troubles me if you're a U.S. resident and you can't answer this...)

3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them?

6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or leftleg? (Don't you dare get up to see!)

7. How many matches are in a standard pack?

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white?

9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial?

10 Which way does water go down the drain, counter or clockwise?(obviously this will be a different answer for those down under)

11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run? (i.e. toward the top of the circle from left to right or the bottom)

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? (I've never seen a t.v. with a VHF dial, so yeah.. I got it way wrong)

13 On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons? (Don't look down and check)

14. Which way do fans rotate?

15 How many sides does a stop sign have?

16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side?

17 How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?

18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package? (this has always irked me)

21 On which playing card is the card maker's trademark?

22 On which side of a Venetian blind is the device that adjusts theopening between the slats?

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits?

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip?

25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise?

29 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger April said...

ANSWERS

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom? BOTTOM

2. How many states are there in the USA? DUDE - FIFTY. FIFTY STATES.

3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch? RIGHT

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label? BLUE, RED, WHITE,YELLOW, BLACK & GOLD (yeah. I got this one wrong)

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them? 1 and 0.

6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or leftleg? RIGHT

7. How many matches are in a standard pack? 20

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white? RED

9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? 88.1

10. Which way does water go down the Drain, counter or clockwise?CLOCKWISE ! (NORTH OF THE EQUATOR)

11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign' s slash run? TOWARDS BOTTOM RIGHT

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? 12 (no #1)

13. On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons? LEFT

14. Which way do fans rotate?CLOCKWISE AS YOU LOOK AT IT

15. How many sides does a stop sign have? 8

16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side? LEFT

17. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel? 5

18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil? 6

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing? BASHFUL

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package? 8

21. On which playing card is the card maker's trademark? ACE OF SPADES

22. On which side of a Venetian blind is the device that adjusts theopening between the slats? LEFT

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits? *, #

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip? 3

25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise? COUNTER

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Robber Barren said...

I got 21. Does that make me a freak, or just obsessive?

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger K said...

I got 21 also! Which did you miss Robber?

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger sirwilliam said...

Oddly enough, I got 18. Go figure. Thanks, that was fun.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Larisa said...

Got 19...that was fun.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

14. I suck.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got 18.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Helen said...

18 here too. That Campbell's one really throws you.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I got 15. Not as smart as some but at least I beat the average. Who the hell knows how many matches come in a pack? Does anyone even use matches anymore? We use the gas flame-thrower thingie.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got 10 out of the 17 I answered correctly. I got parts of the Campbell's soup right, and initially guessed 8 for the stop sign, then decided to go for six...dammit. Somme of those questions were awfully vague, though...

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Nico said...

What fun! Thanks for posting this.

I got 18. The only one I was surprised I got wrong was the number of buns in a pack. Matches in a pack? Direction of a merry-go-round? Lug nuts? VHF? All too far outside my recent experience (i.e. my poor short term memory!)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I got 19. Also missed the blue on Campbell's soup. Cooll quiz.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger x said...

Do I get a few gimme points for being Canadian?
Fun quiz!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I got 17 right - almost got the Campbell's soup one but I goofed and only put down 5 colors.

Number 10 is actually not quite correct. Most of the time water goes down the drain clockwise, anywhere in the world, due to the way the drain was manufactured or put together. The mistaken thought is that water goes down the drain clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere due to the Coriolis force. The Coriolis force only affects large bodies of water, which is why the currents major ocean currents are the way they are. There, I put my atmospheric science degree to use today! I may not know which arm swings with which leg, but I know my Coriolis force!

You can also read about it on: http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger MissDirected said...

I've taken this before, and I got 21 right when I took it. And just to solidify myself as a marketing geek, I knew the Campbell's label question.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh... I got 18.
Except... the blinds right beside me this very second... have the turny-thingy on the other side... and the fan in our master-bedroom can turn in either direction... so can I fake it and say I got 20???

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi that was easy lol i didnt miss ne can u make a harder one next time?
-Anonymous

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need a new quiz - it's way overused. Fix It!

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother and I both got 22/25, but I guess you'd hope and expect that from two guys headed to med school.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, when you get a swirly in a toilet you can really tell that the coriolis effect doesnt work on toilets, on my science trip to Australia the water went the same way up my nose, so i agree with the weather science guy.

(None of the above is true, except maybe the last part because he seems smart)

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My teacher gave me this quiz and i got 15 right. My friend got 17 RIGHT!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha this is a friggen quiz in our health class,
lucky me i found the sight the
teacher got it from. haha
YEAHYEA.
[= wut can i say...im good!

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I losing my MIND, or am I the only female in the world that the buttons are sewn on the RIGHT sides of my shirt???

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur talking to the person u aced it the first time thru

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur talking to the person u aced it the first time thru

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger dancechick1.0 said...

I got 23 right!!!!

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Sheila Santoa said...

I got all 25 !!!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Kungfu Action Jesus said...

Damn You Mr. Wong for giving me this test
lol

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap on the Carousel.

Could not believe it. The few I know go clockwise, but Wikipedia states that "while in North America, carousels typically go anti-clockwise (or "counter-clockwise") - looked on from above", so I discount that as correct...missed the blue on Campbell's soup, have not had any of that in year.

Need questions that have a definite answer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home