Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Call for tailgating recipes

I'm so over talking about the neverending gush, that I decided to talk about something different and completely off topic for a change. And no, I never did test... stupid I guess but I just didn't want to know. I've only been that late before with a previous chemical pregnancy - so it just wasn't something that I really wanted to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. The RE said that I wouldn't be able to carry a pregnancy on my own without medical intervention.

But anyway... on to more exciting things.

This weekend we're headed to a giant rivalry college football (gridiron for my lovely non-American readers) game and we're going to be tailgating before the game, during half time and after the game too for that matter. We're getting together with a group of 10-20 people for tailgating, and we're all just pitching in a hodge podge of items. Now, I'm a pretty good cook (one of my few redeeming qualities) but just wanted to see if anyone had recipes that they would like to share that meet the following criteria:

1. The game is about 2 and a half hours from our house so if it's something that has to be kept warm, please send along ideas as to how to keep it that way. I've got a few insulated thermal 11 1/2 x 14 casserole dishes, and a round 9 inch too I think that have the carriers that will supposedly keep them warm. I don't know though if they will keep them warm that long though. Would a crockpot that was on "high" be kept warm on the drive long enough?

2. I don't care about the complexity of cooking, but I need things that are easy to serve and that aren't going to be too messy.

3. I really need breakfast ideas - as I've somehow been nominated for that part - but lunch & drink ideas (other than just beer in a cooler) are also welcome. I'll probably be bringing a couple of thermoses of coffee & kahlua and spided cider with buttershots & hot damn, but other recipes are more than welcome.

4. Weather is supposed to be hovering around 45-50 degrees when we start, and will warm up to a high of 62 - so warm foods may be the way to go. Remember, this is the coldest weather I've had in 5 years so I'm going to be a popsicle.

We're bringing a grill & supplies, and I have (or will excitedly buy) any necessary kitchen implement.

So give me your best stuff. What fun or delicious recipes/ideas do you have?

11 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I don't have a recipe to offer but I can offer a suggestion. Have you checked out foodnetwork.com? A month or so ago I saw a episode of Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello and he prepared what looked like a pretty good, portable meal. I also think Emerile does a few pretty good tailgate recipes. I'd check that out.

Sounds like fun. Enjoy!

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second foodnetwork.com, I get most of my receipes there. And Michael Chiarello did a few shows recently where he took food places. I love Mac and Cheese, but I'm not sure how to keep it warm that long, and it's not very breakfasty.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

We tailgate a lot. We use both gas and charcoal grills - a hunk of meat cooks wherever you put it - and that's about as complicated as we get - transporting meat with a marinade in a ziplock back.

One of my favorite things is a Virginia Bloody Mary. It is half beer and half bloody mary mix - I use Spicy V-8 instead. You could get fancy with celery, too. Anyway, they are yummy and make beers disappear quickly for me - plus have anti-oxidants to boot!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger April said...

Cricket - my first experience with 'red beer' as we call it was just a few months ago in West Virginia - also tailgating.

It's an interesting taste. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but I imagine that we'll give it another go.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend emailed me a link to your blog - enjoyed it! And I have yet to comment, but as an avid Florida State fan and experienced tail-gater, I simply had to respond to this particular post. What I am about to do will make some of my husband's friend's wives (can you follow that?) VERY upset, as I have yet to divulge this recipe to any of them. But, somehow, I feel much more an obligation to my fellow blogger than to just another "military wife", so here it is:

Hillary's FAMOUS Bean Dip:
Loved by Air Force Pilots the World Over!!

Ingredients:(adjust portions of ingredients up by one each, to feed more people)

1 can Fat free refried beans

1 small jar Zapp's Fire-Roasted Salsa (I have found Zapp's to have the best flavor, but any good Salso will do.)

1 package ground turkey

1 heaping tblspn fat-free sour cream

1/2 bag Kraft shredded Mexican Cheese

1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning

and finally, some chili powder and your favorite hot sauce (Mine is Cholula, but regular tobasco works just fine.)

Directions: Brown turkey. Then mix the rest in a medium saucepan on med-low till warm and smooth. Add hot sauce and chili powder to taste and serve warm with an extra sprinkle of shredded cheese on top.

This recipe, as is, should feed three or four hungry guys. For ten to fifteen people I'd up each ingredient to three.

Though stomachs (and bathrooms) may suffer slightly at the end of the evening, I assure you there will not be a drop left in the bowl after it's served. The best part, though, is that the recipe is almost completely fat-free but doesn't taste like it AT ALL. My husband simply wouldn't partake if it did.

Well, that's all for now...good luck and happy tailgating!

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

foodnetwork.com is great! I watch a lot of food network as well. I vaguely remember this baked french bread dish that Paula Deen did that I think was baked like a casserole. Might not be easy to eat, but it looked good.
Have fun tailgating and try not to freeze. I used to live in a year-round warm kind of place and now I don't - I feel your pain!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bfast: How about VA ham (or even Honeybaked ham) and
biscuits? Easy, portable, delish. I must have eaten about 23 of these at my last tailgate. Oink.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Cass said...

I have a couple of brunch-type casserole recipes, but having never been tailgating (gasp!) I have no idea if they'd work for your purposes. One example: we sometimes make what my grandma calls a "Cheese Blintz Souffle" (using premade frozen blintzes, but creating the rest) - but it's best served warm (though it doesn't need to be hot), and needs plates/forks to eat on/with. Yummy, but I don't know how it would be in a parking lot. Let me know if you want the recipe, though.

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err.. what's tailgating?

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a recipe from Midwest Living that I think is great for tailgates; it's an apple pie baked in a jelly roll pan which can be served as squares. It might work with your breakfast but would be a giant hit for lunch.

http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/recipedetail.jhtml;jsessionid=FUBLXVLRIK4TBQFIBQPR5VQ?recipeId=R037470

Quiche would be a good thing to take. If you bake it up right before you leave it will be good at room temperature. However if you have any kind of a baking stone or tile you could place underneath it in a box and maybe cover the box with a towel, I think it would be even closer to warm once you got there. Otherwise, I would make Sausage McMuffins (grilled sausage patties with cheese on a warmed English muffin); you can do this on a grill. I second the Bloody Mary idea! Mmmmmmm. Hope you have a really great time!

Oh, another thing that would be good is to bake a pan of cinnamon rolls and put them into the car hot. They don't have to be served warm or heated, though if you had a cookie sheet you might be able to warm them up on the grill. With these though I might serve coffee that had a shot of liqueur in it.

celeste_lippATyahoo.com

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very late to this but I was googling breakfast tailgating recipes and found your blog. Here is what we do at least one game a season. Breakfast Burritos. If you have even just a gas stove top this is easy to do. I try to do as much in advance as possible but you need bacon, sausage, tortillas, salsa, cheese, sour cream, eggs, etc. I have everything in disposable ziploc containers so the only cooking I really do is the eggs. I use egg beaters and a foil pan on low heat. Cook the eggs and then everyone makes their own burritos. You can put the sausage and bacon in a metal pan to warm up if you wish but hot eggs will take care of that too.

We've baked mini-quiches made in muffin tins and then just heated them on game day as well. Sometimes those on ham biscuits are good too.

Hopefully this will help next season anyway. Google "Bloody Mary Balls" for a great morning appetizer too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home