Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Snowfall

This morning I was late getting the *ahem* specimen into the doctor's office because my windshield was iced over. It's been so long since I've lived anywhere where the cold is a factor in the weather that to be honest, I didn't remember how to quickly defrost the window. In case you're wondering, using your windshield wiper fluid is NOT the way to do it. That caused the ice to not only cake on - but blister up in angry frozen cracks. I remembered that I bought a cheesy can of Ice-Off (or something to that effect) and ran in the house to get it.

I actually did the insemination alone today, because I was just going to drop off the specimen, and then Michael was going to meet me for my appointment at 10:15. Only, when I got there, they said that they were just going to go ahead and do it then.

So, it was just me, my Morgan Freeman look alike doc and my monkey socks (Michael picked me out a "good luck" pair the other day that have monkey waiters with skyscrapers and apples on them).

So if I get pregnant, my husband will have been half way across town at the time. Hmpf.

There was quite a bit of cramping this time, that I didn't have before.

The doctor said if it doesn't work this time that he doesn't see the point in wasting any more time and money on IUIs and that we should just proceed with IVF (and ICSI if necessary).

I thought it would be easier than this. I don't know that I'm ready for that.

I just wish that we could have an "oops" - or at least the possibility of it.

The skies are grey and it's supposed to snow 4 inches today. I wish I was more hopeful about this. I wish I didn't have to be.

18 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Did you see the commercials this Christmas for the 'washer fluid' heaters? Another doohickey for Dh to want!

Snow - a clean white beginning?

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie you do have the possibility of an oops. Although sometimes I wish for a more peaceful life where we had male factor and the oops was never going to happen, I know that we are lucky that it is at least possible.

I think you know what I think about IUIs. Given the very limited increase in success rates over trying alone I don't really know why we all do them. Of course I deparately want this to work for you, but I would also be moving on to IVF now. It honestly is not nearly as bad in practice as it is in anticipation. We'll be here to get you through it - if you need it.

And - your mother in law is truly a goddess. I'm so happy for you guys!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I hope that you don't have to move on to IVF, because this works!!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Donna said...

It should never be about samples and catheters and monkey slippers, but for us, it is. I also remember my first IUI, feeling like such a failure that I had to go even that far...I wish you luck this cycle and with your decision-making, this is all way harder than it should be.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Shinny said...

I so hope this works for you. Positive thoughts! It is a new year, new snow, new beginning.
It will work.
I will be thinking of you and thinking good thoughts for your success.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger moo said...

I will be thinking of you! I hope this works for you! BTW, your MIL is awesome. That is so great!!

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still do that with the washer fluid even though I know it doesn't work.

Oh boy, April. I hope that in 9 months you get to bring your beautiful new baby home to your beautiful new house.

Keeping you in my thoughts--

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jusy wanted you to know I am sending positive thoughts your way. I can totally relate with running a little late with "the speciman". Congrats on the house offer from MIL of the year - what an amazing gift!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Good luck April and I hope this new house (what an amazing gift!) brings you happiness. The image of your baby toddling through the house is beautiful.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger zarqa said...

Good luck! (isn't that what it comes down to even with all the science?) Thinking good thoughts for you.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pulling for you!

Patti
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com/maternal_instinct

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Portlairge said...

Good luck. I hope the next two weeks fly by.

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, fertilization probably won't take place until at least 6 hours after insemination, so you will likely be in your hubby's arms when conception happens. :-)

Wishing you lots of luck. I understand the reticence to move on to more intense treatments. None of us want to need those.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Bittermama said...

Solo IUIs totally suck. But they do work for some of us. I conceived my son through injectibles/IUI. Didn't work the second time around, but still, I'm glad I didn't skip straight to IVF either time.

Thalia's absolutely right though, the anticipation of IVF is worse than the actual experience of it and if it comes to that, you can do it and you'll have all of us to cheer you on.

In the mean time, there's still hope for this round!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Clover said...

Hoping it works for you...

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Linda said...

But just think of the stories you can tell your children. "I got pregnant with you when your Daddy was way across town! All it took were some green monkey socks and Morgan Freeman." And they'll all go "Ewww! Mommm! Do you have to tell that story every time our friends come over? Sheesh!"

Everything crossed, prayers sent, hoping this works for you.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger beagle said...

You can't have too much luck . . . so I will say it again: GOOD LUCK!

I really hope those monkey socks did the trick!

My word verification:

"qtskx"

Does that translate to cute socks??

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger DD said...

Mr. DD and I didn't think we would have to bring out the big guns either. Cause c'mon, we got pregnant before, so really...

I hope that you don't have to go thru that process and that lucky socks and conception with Morgan Freeman is all it takes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home